Fight Inflammation Naturally with These Foods and Supplements
Most people have some degree of inflammation. Chronic inflammation is a systemic problem that has many causes, from stress to a poor diet. Severe or long-term inflammation can contribute to the development of serious health problems like heart disease and diabetes.
At Chiropractic Partners, we take a well-rounded approach to patients' well-being. Among other things, our team provides dietary guidance for patients who want to naturally reduce their inflammation levels. Here are a few of our top pointers for adopting an anti-inflammatory diet.
Processed foods are among the worst dietary culprits for causing inflammation. That means sugar, refined grains, processed meats, and foods high in saturated or trans fats should be an occasional treat, not a regular part of your diet. Cutting out highly inflammatory foods, including soda, candy, red meat, white bread, and most baked goods, can go a long way towards reducing inflammation and making you feel better.
What should you eat on an anti-inflammatory diet? Try incorporating more of the following foods into your meals:
- Fruits and vegetables. You can't go wrong by eating more fresh produce, especially if you choose dark, leafy greens.
- Whole grains. Switch your white pasta for a whole-wheat version, for example.
- Fish and poultry. These meats provide plenty of protein without much unhealthy fat.
- Beans and legumes. Packed with fiber and protein, these foods are anti-inflammatory nutritional powerhouses.
- Healthy fat sources. Olive oil, avocados, flaxseeds, and walnuts are a few examples of good-for-you fat sources.
Supplements That Fight Inflammation
In addition to eating a healthy diet, taking the right supplements can help you keep your inflammation levels low. A few of the most powerful anti-inflammatory supplements include:
- Fish oil. Fish oil contains high levels of essential omega-3 fatty acids, which help your body fight off inflammation after a workout.
- Turmeric. This bright yellow root fights inflammation by blocking harmful enzymes. You can take turmeric capsules or simply use more turmeric when you cook.
- Ginger. This spicy root fights inflammation as effectively as NSAIDs. Like turmeric, you can cook with ginger or take it in capsule form.
Visit One of Our North Carolina Locations for Nutrition Guidance
No matter where you live in North Carolina, Chiropractic Partners can help you improve your diet, manage chronic pain, and fight inflammation. We have offices in the following cities:
- Fuquay Varina
- Wake Forest
Our experienced staff would be happy to help you and your family with all your health and wellness needs. For nutrition advice and chiropractic care that's close to home, give us a call to make your appointment today.